Under the supervision of the Director – Projects and Dam Management Services, the Senior Manager – Dam Management Services will provide leadership and be responsible for successful planning, execution, monitoring, control and reporting of all the aspects of dam management in the Authority through the following Key Result Areas: Dam Management, Budgeting & Budgetary Control, Strategic Management, Risk Management and Strategic Leadership & People Management.
1. Dam Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Developing and maintaining detailed Dam Management Programmes.
- Ensuring effective resource allocation for all dam safety activities.
- Recommending proposed design specifications for addressing dam safety deficiencies for approval.
- Setting of benchmarks to monitor progress regarding the implementation of plans for addressing dam safety deficiencies.
- Managing deliverables in the Annual Plan for routine Dam Management activities.
- Recording and managing dam safety issues and escalating same to the Director – Projects and Dam Management Services
- Providing State of Dam Reports and Dam Inspection Reports at set time-frames.
- Monitoring and ensuring enforcement of Environmental, Health and Safety Regulations at the dam wall and in respect of the Authority’s properties.
- Reviewing existing departmental policies and plans with respect to the current state-of-the-art in Dam Engineering methods and practices by taking into account changes in organizational direction and goals
- Managing the co-ordination of the Authority’s Dam Safety Management Partners who may be consultants, contractors and financiers.
- Managing the co-ordination of all other Dam Safety Management Stakeholders of the Authority
2. Budgeting and Budgetary Control will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Developing the Dam Safety Management budget.
- Managing input by Consultants within the allocated budget.
- Managing Dam Safety Management training programmes within the allocated budget.
- Ensuring effective utilization of resources and that expenditure is within the budget.
3. Strategic Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing the Dam Safety Annual Operational Strategies in line with Departmental Strategic Objectives.
- Monitoring and reviewing the implementation of the Dam Safety Operational Plans.
- Reporting progress on Dam Safety Management Programmes being undertaken to the Director - Projects and Dam Management Services on a regular basis.
4. Risk Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Promoting risk culture and awareness in the Dam Management Services Section.
- Developing the Risk Management Plan for the Dam Management Services Section.
- Developing and maintaining the Risk Register for the Dam Management Services Section.
- Updating the Departmental Risk Register on a quarterly basis and producing a risk management return for the Section.
- Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the initiatives in the Risk Register and making necessary recommendations
5. Stakeholder Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Providing leadership to cover all departments and employees on all Authority affairs and operational issues at the Kariba Office;
- Providing technical and administrative support as appropriate to Authority Consultants and stakeholders visiting the Kariba Office; and
- Safeguarding the Authority’s assets, resources and infrastructure from damage, theft or misuse.
6. Strategic Leadership and People Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Providing vision, leadership and direction to the Section in order to achieve departmental objectives.
- Providing direction on the effective management of the human resource in accordance with the Authority’s policies and procedures that fully conform to labour laws and regulations.
- Providing direction in change management by embracing and supporting all systems being introduced in the Authority.
- Providing leadership in the management of employee performance in the Section.
- Ensuring that employees have the right skills to effectively carry out the dam safety management initiatives.
- Ensuring proper utilization of human resource in the Section.
Qualifications and Experience
- Five (5) “O” levels with credits or better
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil engineering or equivalent
- Relevant Post Graduate qualification in Civil Engineering or other relevant engineering disciplines
- Membership of the relevant Professional Body
- Eight (8) years of relevant experience
Other key attributes
- Leadership skills
- Strategic thinking and planning skills
- Decision making skills
- Operational effectiveness
- Influence and interpersonal effectiveness
- Effective communication
- Team work
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Permanent and Pensionable Employment Contract
Female candidates are encouraged to APPLY.
Written application letters together with detailed CVs and certified photocopies of academic & professional certificates should be forwarded to:
The Senior Manager - Human Resource and Administration,
Zambezi River Authority,
Head Office, Kariba House, 32 Cha Cha Cha Road,
P.O Box 30233