The Zambezi River Authority (“the Authority”) intends to employ a firm for the provision of Technical Advisory Consulting Services to the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings for the development of the Batoka Gorge Hydro -Electric Scheme (BGHES). The BGHES will be developed on a Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) mode.
The Authority is a corporate body jointly and equally owned by the Governments of Zambia and Zimbabwe (“Contracting States”) and is mandated with the management of the Kariba Complex and the stretch of the Zambezi River (from Kazungula to Kanyemba) forming a common border between the two Contracting States.
The scope for the development of the BGHES shall include but not limited to;
- 175m high, 720m long rolled compacted concrete gravity arch dam;
- Radial gated crest type spillway;
- Two surface power plants, one on either side of the river bank, each having a capacity of 1,200MW, with a combined capacity of 2,400MW;
- 6 x 200MW turbines in each powerhouse;
- Four intakes in the reservoir which will take the water through 4 tunnels (each approximately 0.5km in length) to the two surface power plants downstream of the dam;
- Diversion tunnels
- Switchyards for both power plants
- Transmission lines connecting the Project to the grid in Zambia and in Zimbabwe:
- BGHES to Mukuni substation (2 x 330kV x 22km,) in Zambia;
- BGHES to Muzuma in Choma (1 x 330kV x 152km) in Zambia;
- Muzuma to Nambala substation (1x 330kV, 230km) in Zambia
- Batoka North and Batoka South Interconnector (2 x 330kV)
- BGHES to Hwange (2 x 400kV x 70km) in Zimbabwe; and
- BGHES to Chakari (2 x 400kV x 400km) in Zimbabwe.
The above Transmission scope may change depending on the outcome of the network studies to be undertaken by the Developer.
- Construction of access roads on both sides of the two contracting countries (approx. 90Km);
- Construction of the operational staff townships and office complex for the Authority and the Power Utilities on both sides of the river banks with social amenities
The high-level scope of the consulting services (“the Services”) to be implemented over a period of approximately seven (7) years shall include but not limited to;
Assist with the contract negotiations with the Developer: The Consultant will be expected to participate in all contract negotiations with the developer and offer Technical advice to the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings until Financial close;
Technical Advisory services during project Construction: The Consultant shall offer Technical Advice to the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings with respect to the Civil, Hydro-Mechanical, Electro-Mechanical and Transmission and Distribution Infrastructure works during construction and follow-up of the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings’ training of staff by the Developer.