The Zambezi River Authority (“the Authority”) intends to employ a firm for the provision of Technical Advisory Consulting Services to the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings for the development of the Batoka Gorge Hydro -Electric Scheme (BGHES). The BGHES will be developed on a Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) mode.
The Authority is a corporate body jointly and equally owned by the Governments of Zambia and Zimbabwe (“Contracting States”) and is mandated with the management of the Kariba Complex and the stretch of the Zambezi River (from Kazungula to Kanyemba) forming a common border between the two Contracting States.
The scope for the development of the BGHES shall include but not limited to;
- 175m high, 720m long rolled compacted concrete gravity arch dam;
- Radial gated crest type spillway;
- Two surface power plants, one on either side of the river bank, each having a capacity of 1,200MW, with a combined capacity of 2,400MW;
- 6 x 200MW turbines in each powerhouse;
- Four intakes in the reservoir which will take the water through 4 tunnels (each approximately 0.5km in length) to the two surface power plants downstream of the dam;
- Diversion tunnels
- Switchyards for both power plants
- Transmission lines connecting the Project to the grid in Zambia and in Zimbabwe:
- BGHES to Mukuni substation (2 x 330kV x 22km,) in Zambia;
- BGHES to Muzuma in Choma (1 x 330kV x 152km) in Zambia;
- Muzuma to Nambala substation (1x 330kV, 230km) in Zambia
- Batoka North and Batoka South Interconnector (2 x 330kV)
- BGHES to Hwange (2 x 400kV x 70km) in Zimbabwe; and
- BGHES to Chakari (2 x 400kV x 400km) in Zimbabwe.
The above Transmission scope may change depending on the outcome of the network studies to be undertaken by the Developer.
- Construction of access roads on both sides of the two contracting countries (approx. 90Km);
- Construction of the operational staff townships and office complex for the Authority and the Power Utilities on both sides of the river banks with social amenities
The high-level scope of the consulting services (“the Services”) to be implemented over a period of approximately seven (7) years shall include but not limited to;
Assist with the contract negotiations with the Developer: The Consultant will be expected to participate in all contract negotiations with the developer and offer Technical advice to the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings until Financial close;
Technical Advisory services during project Construction: The Consultant shall offer Technical Advice to the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings with respect to the Civil, Hydro-Mechanical, Electro-Mechanical and Transmission and Distribution Infrastructure works during construction and follow-up of the Zambezi River Authority, ZESCO Limited and ZESA Holdings’ training of staff by the Developer.
The Draft Terms of Reference for the Consulting Services can be inspected on the Authority’s website: www.zambezira,org
The Authority now invites consulting firms (“Consultants”) with similar and specific experience to express their interest in providing the said services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based Selection method set out in the Authority’s Procurement Policy and Procedures.
The shortlisting criteria is;
- The firms core business being in the area of the proposed assignment,
- General experience of the firm (clearly demonstrating the scope, cost and duration),
- Specific experience of the firm in the provision of Technical Advisory Services for the Development of Hydro-electric Power schemes in the last twenty (20) years,
- Specific Experience of the firm in at least One Public Private Partnership, Independent Power Producer or Build, Operate and Transfer Projects in the energy sector in the last twenty (20) years.
- Specific Experience of the firm in provision of Consultancy services in at-least two Hydro Power Projects with minimum installed capacity of 500MW in the last twenty (20) years
- Experience in similar conditions or sub Saharan Africa region, and
- Suitability of the qualifications and experience of the Consultants core staff, such as principals or directors who may not at all be proposed subsequent to short listing to be among the key staff of the consultants who may be proposed to undertake the assignment. Specific Key Experts requirements will be considered in the Request for Proposal Stage.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during working hours from 0800 to 1630 hours local time.
Expressions of interest must be delivered by E-MAIL in PDF on or before 27th September 2019, 1600hrs on the following E-mail addresses;
- Email: Langton Pfaira: langton. email@example.com
- cc: Avitol Nkweendenda: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Expressions of interest must be addressed to;
The Chief Executive
Zambezi River Authority
32 Cha Cha Cha Road
Tel.: +260 211 227970-3
Att: Manager Procurement